Hi my lovely readers,
You all are well aware about how I try to follow sustainable living and make environment friendly choices in my daily life. Even when it comes to toys, I always prefer wooden toys and Shumee is a brand which I trust and recommend for wooden toys in India. Their toys are made from eco-friendly materials and bright natural, non-toxic, water-based paints with child safety in mind.
The shape and number house is the first toy I had bought from Shumee when Raisha was around 14 months. The shape and number house is recommended for 1 + year kids. Our experience with this toy has been amazing.
What I like about the shape and number house:
- First and the main reason for me to love this toy specially is that the toy can be disassembled. This makes the toy super convenient to carry along during picnics and in our case when we moved countries, we could easily disassemble the toy and could carry along to Belgium.
The assembling feature helps an older child to learn to build the house himself and enhance problem solving skill and fine motor skill.
2. For a one year old this makes an amazing toy for shape sorting. There are 0 to 9 numbers, various geometrical shapes and other shapes like +, – and heart which offers various options with different shapes and sizes for the toddlers to learn shape sorting and enhance their fine motor skills.
3. The toy also helps in learning and recognizing various shapes, numbers and colors. A great toy again this way for a 1 year plus child.
4. For an older child, the plus and minus signs can make learning basic addition and subtraction a fun game.
5. The toy is made up of sturdy wood and each piece speaks of the quality. I use the various pieces separately to help Raisha learn numbers and shapes, which are anytime a better choice over the plastic numbers, shapes we get in the market.
6. The house also serves as a doll house, where in Raisha used to keep her little animal figurines, little soft toys. This activity is much enjoyed by 12 to 14 months old toddlers.
7. One of the sides, has a clock to help 2 + year old kids learn time.
8. This is a multi purpose toy which teaches kids shape sorting, shape recognition, building a basic house, shape recognition, shape sorting, learn time and also serves as a doll house.
9. The toy is absolutely safe for toddlers as the dyes are non toxic and pieces are sized appropriately.
10. The cloth bag that comes along with the toy is very useful to store all the pieces.
Anything I don’t like about the toy?
There is nothing I do not like about this toy and it is our favorite toy and one that will stay with us for a long time. Though would like to highlight the below points:
- As the toy is wooden it does have some weight which can hurt the baby if he accidentally drops it on him. So better store the toy safely and use under adult supervision.
- I would have liked the geometric shapes to be sized so that only that particular shape would go through that slot. This would have helped the child be accurate while sorting the shapes. Right now Raisha puts all the shapes through the biggest holes and doesn’t even try to put them through their respective ones . For instance, she puts all the shapes through the hole designed for Rhombus as it is big enough to take in all the shapes 🙂
Overall, we love this toy which can be used in numerous ways and would definitely recommend it. It is a great toy for your one year olds.
It is priced at Rs.1,325.00 and you can purchase it here
This is a non sponsored post, I bought this toy from my own money so be assured the opinions are 100% genuine 🙂