In this post I would like to talk about the most sought after fabric in carriers, Linen. Let’s read on to know what properties of linen makes it the best fabric for carriers.
Linen is a textile made from the fibers of the flax plant. Linen is laborious to manufacture, but the fiber is very absorbent and garments made of linen are valued for their exceptional coolness and freshness in hot weather. (Source Wikipedia)
Properties of Linen
Linen is one of the most absorbent fibers owing partially to its “wicking” ability. It absorbs very rapidly and also is quick drying so it is one of the most comfortable fabrics for warm climates.
Linen fabrics possess a natural crispness when ironed damp and has a natural luster. There is no need of starching. The material becomes softer and lustrous with use and washes, so that after a long time in use they almost acquire the feel and appearance of silk. A good quality linen is bound to last for a long time and can be readily refreshed by washing and ironing.
Linen fabrics are not only very strong but also very firm. Linen fabrics are inelastic and will normally not yield on stretching and hence prevents bagginess and bottoming, which is otherwise possible in fabrics that stretch over time. Linen material even after being so lightweight and thin gives a good grip and is sturdy.
My experience with Linen carriers:
I have used a couple of linen carriers from soul, below are my observations:
1. It is light weight, thin and a breathable material. It was very comfortable for both the baby and wearer during summers.
2. Linen carriers look beautiful. The material has this shine to it which gives it a rich luxurious look. .
3. It has a shape of its own, but when worn, it fits just like a second skin around the baby.
1. Very expensive.
2. Creases easily, ironing often would be required.
3. Needs a little more extra care compared to other material.
How to take care of your linen fabric:
1. Do not use very hot iron for ironing.
2. Do not use fabric softener or acids for washing.
3. Do not use very hot water for washing.
4. After use, fold the carrier snugly and place in the cloth bag or hang the carrier to avoid creasing.
You can check some beautiful linen carriers here
If you can afford a linen carrier, it is worth buying for all its wonderful characteristics.